Designing A New Piece of Jewelry

Some people are interested in the process of coming up with a new design of jewelry. What I've found is many come from requests that I would not have usually done on my own time.

I was asked to create a pendant for my sister-in-law's grandchild. She loved baby pigs and her grandmother couldn't find one suitable anywhere. I took on the task of coming up with the design and thought I'd show you the process.

I first did some sketches for her approval on an old envelope I had hanging around. These are the preliminary sketches. (No, this is not a pig from Angry Birds!)



Then I cut out the pig and used the envelope as a template.















I then rolled out the fine silver clay to the desired thickness, cut it out with an xacto knife, pressed in the lines and eyes, put it in the kiln when I was satisfied with the way it looked, cleaned it up and voila! A beautiful, fine silver piglet! Soon it will go to it's new home!



If you would like to see more of my items, you can visit my ArtFire Store.

Comments

  1. That pig is adorable, you're very talented in the drawing department! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sweet, she's going to love it, thanks for sharing the process, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Melinda, and you're welcome New End Studio!
    chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting to read about the process! The pig is really cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very interested in a piece like this. Are you creating more pigs with a heart pendents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon, Thank for you inquiry.
      I am going to make another, but not sure when. If you'd like to put in a custom order or inquire more, you can contact me through my artfire store: http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/GildedOwlJewelry

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts