What do you do when you find a baby bird?

Unfortunately, my cat brought in a baby chickadee. (OK, OK, I know, I don't need a lecture, I feel bad enough) The good news is, he's OK. I can't find the parents anywhere, so I'm trying to take care of him the best I can. So far I've given him water mixed with crushed peanuts in an eyedropper. Then I gave him some raw beef dipped in egg. All organic, so I hope he does OK with it. I'm not sure how much or how often to feed him, nor how to keep him exercised so he can build strength. He does have a great appetite. If anyone has any experience with this, please contact me. I could use the help.

So far I've found that you feed it every 15 mins, then every half hr, then every hour, from 7AM to 7PM.

I took this picture of him right after I found him. He had nested there, but the parent's were nowhere to be found as I don't know where the cat found him.

Comments

  1. I haven't had the experience, but I'm sure he will be OK. He at least looks fairly mature. As for the Cats, they do what they do. We've removed most natural predators with our land development, so I certainly wouldn't feel bad about you cat doing what comes natural.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx Cinders, So far he's OK. He's slowing down on eating. I'll keep watching him. He doesn't have his flying feathers and I don't know how to get him to eat and drink on his own. Keep your fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We found ourselves raising a baby robin a couple of years ago, still without feathers. We actually dug up worms and in the beginning mashed them (yes, gross, especially for a vegan, but necessary ;) He ate vigorously and OFTEN! He got to the point where he would see me coming and start screaming for food, we became surrogate parents. I had him in dog crate (we have 3 cats) but as he got older let him fly around the house. Once he was fully feathered and flying well we would put him outside for awhile each day giving him a chance to assert his independence, which he did over time. Eventually, one day he left us. We still eyeball each robin in our yard, wondering... I know this is 'illegal' according to wildlife 'rules' but we managed. I actually plan on blogging about this adventure, just haven't gotten there yet! ;) Good luck (researching online dug up tons of helpful info.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let you know I managed to blog about our bird adventure yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts