Mosquito Control and Chrysanthemum Flowers

How Safe are Chrysanthemum Flowers as a Pesticide?


I just received a flyer about a 'safe' insecticide made with chrysanthemum flowers. That these are biodegradable and safe for all warm blooded animals. Not so quick.

For many years our government has been telling us that DDT and many other concoctions are safe for us. They were and are still Dead Wrong.

The newest 'safe' pesticide is in mosquito control called Sumithri/Anvil, a class of Pyrethroids. These are health hazards. They may be a little safer than malathion, (a derivative of nerve gas), but they are not where near safe.

Another common misconception is that pesticides, such as sumithrin, are safer, because they are made from chrysanthemum flowers. Not true! Sumithrin belongs to a class of pesticides known as pyrethroids, which are synthetic analogs of compounds found in chrysanthemums and dandelions. Pyrethroids are not natural. In fact, pyrethroids are toxic to the endocrine system (including the thyroid) and the immune system.


A study at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine that was published in the peer-reviewed journal Environmental Health Perspectives (March 1999, Vol. 107 [Issue 3]), found: “Pyrethroids should be considered to be hormone disruptors, and their potential to affect endocrine function in humans and wildlife should be investigated.” The study indicated that these pesticides interfere with the endocrine system by mimicking the effects of estrogen. Exposure to higher levels of estrogen is known to increase a woman’s risk of breast cancer.

Pesticides float in the air and eventually settle. In the Antarctic region alone, there are 2.4 million pounds of DDT that has accumulated over the years. Think of your pets or children, not to mention squirrels and other wild unsuspecting creatures, walking on this stuff and then grooming themselves. For you or your children, you'll be absorbing the poison through your skin. Pesticides are also easily tracked indoors where they are inhaled or absorbed through the skin.


Pesticides attack essential organ systems, including the central nervous system. Symptoms of pesticide poisoning — including headaches, nausea, fever, breathing difficulties, muscle pain, tissue swelling, sore nose, eye pains, incontinence, numbness in the hands and feet, anxiety and sleep disorders — are very mundane, and are often misdiagnosed as allergies or the flu. Longer-term consequences of pesticide exposure include neurological damage, memory loss, suicidal depression, liver and kidney dysfunction, infertility, and cancer.

Please, don't use this or any poisons. Make sure there is no standing water. All mosquitoes need is a few inches for 5 to 7 days to breed. This is the best way to control them. Hose holders, old tires, unattended birdbaths, gutters, trash containers, empty pot saucers and buckets are some of the few ways standing water is accumulated. Make sure these are emptied, turned upside down or disposed of.

The National Academy of Sciences reported that at least 1 out of 7 people are significantly harmed by pesticide exposure each year. As Catherine Karr, a toxicologist from the National Coalition Against the Misuse of Pesticides, points out, more and more people are beginning to “link feeling terrible with the fact the neighbors had the lawn sprayed the day before.”

Consider some of the troubling findings linking pesticides and cancer:

• According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), 95% of the pesticides used on residential lawns are possible or probable carcinogens


• In 1989, the National Cancer Institute reported that children develop leukemia 6 times more often when pesticides are used around their homes


• The American Journal of Epidemiology found that more children with brain tumors and other cancers had been exposed to insecticides than had healthy children


• Studies by the National Cancer Institute and medical researchers elsewhere have discovered a definite link between fatal non-Hodgkins lymphoma (NHL) and exposure to triazine herbicides (like Atrazine), phenoxyacetic herbicides (2,4-D), organophosphate insecticides (Diazinon), fungicides, and fumigants; all of which have uses as lawn chemicals. Environmental exposure to these chemicals may be an important contributing factor to the 50% rise in NHL observed over the past ten years in the U.S. population. Studies of farmers who once used these herbicides and pesticides found alarmingly high numbers of NHL, especially in the farmers who didn't wear protective clothing. These findings also prove the theory that most danger from herbicides and pesticides come through dermal (skin) absorption, not ingestion.


• A University of Iowa study of golf course superintendents found abnormally high rates of death due to cancer of the brain, large intestine, and prostate gland. Other experts are beginning to link golfers, and non-golfers who live near fairways, with these same cancers.

How many times does it have to be mentioned that these chemicals are causing cancer? That they are NOT safe, before people stop using them?

Comments

  1. Sigh. When will the government stop being so sneaky, trying to lure people into a false sense of safety. I've decided the only way to stay safe is to take matters into my own hands. I don't believe everything I read anymore and find that usually when something is "derived" from something natural, they've messed with it so much, and in such dangerous ways, it is now toxic. When I was a groomer we used to flea dip the dogs at the owners request ~ pyrethrin dip. Imagine. Pouring pesticides all over your beloved pet? Crazy! Thanks for the informative post, keep spreading the facts, that's how we'll turn the tide! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Melinda. So many people trust in the government agencies and don't think that they'd do anything to harm them, when the opposite is true. It's all about the money trail. Corporations fund campaign contributions and it's all downhill from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I firmly believe that posts like these and spreading the info in any way that you can will turn the tides. If even one person reads this and shares what they learned, than I would say 'job well done'. :) It's all about knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The same fear mongering pseudoscience garbage as any other "naturalistic" site. Lame and ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I've experienced are extremely persistent Noseeums. They have driven me to the point of feeling that it is worth the risk to eliminate them. Now, I am sensitive to bad chemicals. Most pesticides one can buy, spray bottles have far too much toxic oil by products. Those are probably more toxic than a pesticide like Permethrin. I've burned incense with insecticides Picaridin and Allethrin with a lot of success in reducing the horrible Noseeum pests who go in my mouth, eyes & nose when I sleep unless I sleep with a hat & netting. Problem is, the byproducts in the incense were too overwhelming, so I couldn't burn the stuff often enough to rid the pest. Anyway, as soon as I can find the most effective product with the least toxicity, I will use it. Right now, it's a standoff with scented oil diffusers & natural orange & chrysanthemum oils & other oils they don't like. Reasonable repellents, but during summer I have to add 4-5 fans to get them off my face. This is an unreasonable situation, and I want them to be eliminated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, I must tell you, I was so bad with noseeums that the doc thought I had something else. 17 bites on one arm. This year I tried a Dr. Mercola suggestion. Don't use soap to wash your skin. Just your private parts and underarms.

      To Quote: I am concerned with washing off beneficial microbes with soap so I restrict using soap to my armpits (rather than use deodorant) and to wash my hands when dirty. Also, I am barefoot most of the day so I wash the soles of my feet every night before going to bed. All this only takes a few bars of soap a year.

      http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/03/07/daily-showering.aspx

      This is the FIRST year of my entire life that I had only 2 mosquito bites and NO noseeum bites. What a blessing. I am not 100% sure if that's the reason, but I did not change anything else. It takes 28 days for your natural oils and beneficial bacteria to develop. Chlorine will destroy it, so be careful if you try it. Good luck! I like your fan idea!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts